Pot Planting - Information,
Advice and Help
The basics required for successful pot planting is:
- Choose your pot size and the plants you want to display in it.
- Place drainage material i.e.- shingle or broken crockery or some stones in the base of the pot
- Cover with a general multi-purpose or Tub and basket compost just over half full.
- Place your center piece in the pot and arrange the other plants around it
- Fill the rest of the pot with compost and pack down carefully so you do not cause any damage to your plants.
- Soak the shrub in a bucket or wheel barrow for about 15
mins before planting in the ground, this will allow the roots to soak in
as much water as possible before it goes in the ground.
- Dig a hole, one and half times the size and the same in width of the pot or rootball of the shrub.
- Tap the pot to release the rootball. Rough up the roots as this will help loosen them.
- Place some fresh soil/ compost mixed into the hole add
some bone meal which will help feed the roots of the plants and pour
some water onto the mix to moisten it.
- Then position the shrub in the hole, move the shrub around until you get the best looking position.
- Back fill with compost and soil mixed using your foot to pack down the soil adding more compost soil mix as you go
- Keep packing with soil/compost as you go until the shrub is secure in the ground.
- Water it in as this will help the soil fill any air pockets around the roots
- Top up around the base of the plant and water for a few days as this will help the roots develop.
We hope you have found this information on Pot planting and ground planting useful. If you need further assistance please contact us
for more advice and information on gardening related issues. Don't
forget you can also get gardening products delivered straight to your
home. Call us on 020 8421 5977 to find out more about our delivery price
and delivery areas or see here for more detail
Return to Hanging Basket Info
Return from Pot Planting to the Homepage